[R] How to installation of R on Unix (SunOs 5.8)

Biao Xing xing.biao at gene.com
Tue May 15 01:43:04 CEST 2007

Hi there:
Can someone help me with installing R on Unix? I tried the followings, but
failed:
(1) I downloaded
http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/debian/stable/r-base_2.5.0.orig.tar.g
z and unzipped the file.
(2) I issued "./config" command, which ended up with a long log file. I
attached below the last few lines. If anyone needs the full log, I can send
it over.

checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking for g77 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g77 PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... solaris2.8 ld.so
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking readline/history.h usability... no
checking readline/history.h presence... no
checking for readline/history.h... no
checking readline/readline.h usability... no
checking readline/readline.h presence... no
checking for readline/readline.h... no
checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no
checking for main in -lncurses... no
checking for main in -ltermcap... yes
checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no
checking for history_truncate_file... no
configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are not
available

(3) I issued "make" command, then the message I got was:
"make: Fatal error: No arguments to build"

The Unix system that I use is SunOS 5.8. I wanted to install R on my home
directory, not a system wide installation.

There seem to be a lot of Q&A messages posted on the list regarding how to
install R on Unix. But I didn't get a clue from reading them. Can someone
provide a summary for a 'Unix dummy'?

Biao