[R] Testing for existence inside a function

Talbot Katz topkatz at msn.com
Tue May 15 16:48:31 CEST 2007

Hi.

I'm having trouble testing for existence of an object inside a function.

Suppose I have a function:

f<-function(x){
}

and I call it with argument y:

f(y)

I'd like to check inside the function whether argument y exists.  Is this
possible, or do I have to either check outside the function or pass the name
of the argument as a separate argument?

If I do exists(x)  or exists(eval(x)) inside the function and y does not
exist, it generates an error message.  If I do exists("x") it says that x
exists even if y does not.  If I had a separate argument to hold the text
string "y" then I could check that.  But is it possible to check the
existence of the argument inside the function without passing its name as a
separate argument?

Thanks!

--  TMK  --
212-460-5430	home