[R] Testing for existence inside a function

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue May 15 19:05:46 CEST 2007

Maybe this:

chk2 <- function(x) {
	chr <- deparse(substitute(x))
	e <- parse(text = chr)
	structure(exists(chr, parent.env(environment())),
	   is.name = length(e) == 1 && is.name(e[[1]]))
}
chk2(1) # structure(FALSE, is.name = FALSE)
ab <- 1
chk2(ab+1) # structure(FALSE, is.name = FALSE)
chk2(ab) # structure(TRUE, is.name = TRUE)
exists("x") # FALSE
chk2(x) # structure(FALSE, is.name = TRUE)
chk2(x+1) # structure(FALSE, is.name = FALSE)