[R] Barplot by two variables

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Tue May 15 23:43:13 CEST 2007

On 5/15/07, Spilak,Jacqueline [Edm] <Jacqueline.Spilak at ec.gc.ca> wrote:

>  Thanks for your solution, it worked perfectly, it was exactly what I
> wanted.  I do have two more questions and hope you can help.  I have
> another analysis exactly like the last one except it is done by month
> instead of year.  When I graph it using barchart it makes the months go
> in alphabetical order.  Is there anyway to change it so that the months
> go in the correct order (jan, feb, march, etc,).  And how do I change
> the colors of the bars in the graph, they are weird colors and I want to
> change them.

It would help to have a reproducible example. The alphabetical order
thing is a side effect of the factor() function, and to avoid it you
need to supply the levels when you create the factor; e.g.

> factor(month.name)
 [1] January   February  March     April     May       June      July
 [8] August    September October   November  December
12 Levels: April August December February January July June March ... September

> factor(month.name, levels = month.name)
 [1] January   February  March     April     May       June      July
 [8] August    September October   November  December
12 Levels: January February March April May June July August ... December

(Note the different order of the levels)

As for the colors, you can add either

col=c("green","purple")

or

par.settings = list(superpose.polygon = list(col=c("green","purple")))

The first will change the color of the bars but not the legend, the
second will change both. (The reasons this works are a bit convoluted
if you are not familiar with lattice, and you don't really need to
know, so I won't go into them)

-Deepayan