[R] GLMM for unbalanced data

spime sabya23 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 05:32:52 CEST 2007

Hi friends,

I need some help regarding generalized linear mixed model of unbalanced
data.

1. Is their any package for applying Monte-Carlo Newton-Raphson (MCNR) or
Monte-Carlo EM (MCEM) to estimate fixed and random effects?

2. My data is unbalanced (groups having unequal number of observations) and
random-effect design matrix is not containing only 1's but some function of
x(predictors). e.g.,

z =
[avg(x1jk)    0          0         0         0            0
    0       avg(x2jk)    0         0         0            0
    0            0          0         0          0           avg(x6jk)]

where avg(xijk) = an (n_k X 1) column vector of average of jth measurement
available for the ith subject in group k and n_k is the no. of observations
in kth group.

is it possible to apply glmmPQL or any other packge in this situation? If
possible kindly tell me how?

Thanks in advance.
Waiting for reply.