[R] bug or feature?

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Thu May 17 21:37:47 CEST 2007

of course it is.  virtually everything in R is somewhere documented,
and once one sees it, pretty well documented, too.

my suggestion for a warning is more a matter of "user
friendliness"---a warning, not an error.  chances are that if a
variable exists in the upper frames, and a user reuses it, there is a
good chance that it could be ambiguous.  for such cases, a user may be
well advised to use subset$variablename explicitly instead of simply
variablename IMHO.  I believe many C compilers and the perl
interpreter routinely issue warnings when there is a good chance that
a behavior may not necessarily be what a naive user might expect, even
though the code is perfectly correct and unambiguous.

of course, I am really NAIVE very often.

regards,

/ivo