[R] length, mean, na.rm, na.omit...

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Fri May 18 16:32:46 CEST 2007

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me why the length function does not use na.rm? I know
how to work around it, I'm just curious to know why such a useful option
was left out.

I'm also interested in the logic of setting na.rm=TRUE as the default on
mean, sd, etc. This is the opposite of the many other stat packages I
have used, so I assume it provides some programming benefit that is not
obvious to me.

Thanks,
Bob

  Bob Muenchen (pronounced Min'-chen), Manager
  Statistical Consulting Center
  U of TN Office of Information Technology
  200 Stokely Management Center, Knoxville, TN 37996-0520
  Voice: (865) 974-5230
  FAX:   (865) 974-4810
  Email: muenchen at utk.edu
  Web:   http://oit.utk.edu/scc,