[R] Selecting complementary colours

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Tue May 22 02:37:51 CEST 2007

Hi All,

Complementary colors will not insure legibility. If the text and the
background are equiluminant, visibility will be severely impaired.

On May 21, 2007, at 8:22 PM, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Achim,
>
> As I mentioned in my response to Deepayan's suggestion, I didn't
> specify the
> original problem clearly: The object is to get contrasting colours,
> so that
> when one is plotted over the other, the two will be readily
> distinguishable.
> Your suggestions don't do this for neutral colours:
>
>> x <- "#888888"
>> y_hcl <- as(hex2RGB(x), "polarLUV")
>> y_hcl at coords[1, "H"] <- y_hcl at coords[1, "H"] + 180
>> hex(y_hcl)
> [1] "#888888"
>
>> y_hsv <- as(hex2RGB(x), "HSV")
>> y_hsv at coords[1, "H"] <- y_hsv at coords[1, "H"] + 180
>> hex(y_hsv)
> [1] "#888888"
>
> Thank you for trying to help.
>
> John
>
> --------------------------------
> John Fox, Professor
> Department of Sociology
> McMaster University
> Hamilton, Ontario
> Canada L8S 4M4
> 905-525-9140x23604
> http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox
> --------------------------------

_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/