[R] quartz() on MAC OSX

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Tue May 22 08:30:24 CEST 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007, hadley wickham wrote:

> On 5/22/07, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > On 22/5/07 6:48 AM, "hadley wickham" <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Two possible solutions:
> > >
> > >  * DISPLAY=0.0.0.0:0 R - and then X11() should work without having to use
> > > xterm
> > >
> > >  * install.packages("CarbonEL"); library(CarbonEL); quartz()
> >
> > It is clear that life is determined to frustrate me.  I had a look at CRAN
> > just now and could find no sign of a package called "CarbonEL".  The list
> > jumps from "car" to "cat" --- no "Carbon" of any flavour.  What gives?
> >
> > Also I tried setting the DISPLAY (probably incorrectly, since I don't
> > understand what's going on).  I used
> >
> >     > Sys.setenv(DISPLAY="0.0.0.0:0 R")
> >     > X11()
> >
> > And got the error message
> >
> >     Error in X11() : X11 module cannot be loaded
>
> Sorry, just type
> DISPLAY=0.0.0.0:0 R
> at the command prompt

Edit ~/.Rprofile (create if necessary) as below:

$ cat << NOMORE >> ~/.Rprofile
Sys.putenv("DISPLAY"=":0.0")
NOMORE
$

You should start the X11 server first before expecting
the functionality to work, as below:

[[ Terminal.app ]]
$ open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app
$ R
> X11()

Discussion of Mac-specific issues belongs in r-sig-mac,
not r-help.