[R] R-help with apply and ccf

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue May 22 18:35:32 CEST 2007

I understand you to want correlations of corresponding rows (** not ccf,
which returns a vector ccf for each pair of rows). If that is so,

1) ... in theory, diag(cor(t(A), t(B)) would work without apply, except
196,000 rows is probably too large, and it is probably too inefficient to
compute and then throw away all the off-diagonals anyway.

2. ##Use a 3d array.
 ar <- array(c(A,B),dim=c(dim(A),2)) ## this can also be done by abind() in
the abind package
  apply(ar,1,function(x)cor(x[,1],x[,2])) ## Value is a vector

3. ## probably simplest and best
 sapply(seq_along(nrow(a)),function(i)cor(a[i,],b[i,])) ## Note: value is a
vector, not an array

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics