[R] File path expansion

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Fri May 25 17:44:27 CEST 2007

R-Help,
I discovered a "mis-feature" is ghostscript, which is used by the bitmap
function. It seems that specifying file names in the form "~/abc.png"
rather than "/home/directory/abc.png" causes my GS to crash when I open
the bitmap device on my Linux box.

The easiest solution would seem to be to intercept any file names in the
form "~/abc.png" and replace the "~" with the user's home directory. I'm
sure I could come up with something involving regular expressions and
system calls to do this in Linux, but even that might not be system
independent. So, I wanted to see if anyone knew of a native R solution
of converting "~" to its full path expansion.

Thanks,
Robert