[R] covariance question which has nothing to do with R

toby909 at gmail.com toby909 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 22:41:50 CEST 2007

while my other program is running.....

The reference I mentioned previously addresses exactly this. Snijders and
Bosker's Multilevel Analysis book on page 31 and 33, section 3.6.2 and 363
discuss this.

When you say that the Xs are correlated then you would need to say according to
which structure they are correlated:

(1,X1,Y1)
(1,X2,Y2)
(1,X3,Y3)
.
.
.
(1,X55,Y55)
(2,X56,Y56)
(2,X57,Y57)
.
.
.

To pick some real world examples one row represents a person, or a stock. And
the first column indicates to which organization or to which country that
person/stock belongs to. Then Xs are correlated within the organization/country.
You will have two covariances, one within-county and one between country
covariance of stocks.
This can be implemented in R manually providing method of moments estimates, or
the gls function providing ML or REML estimates can be used for that.

I am not a post doc, just a pre master :-)

Toby