[R] normality tests [Broadcast]

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue May 29 17:03:24 CEST 2007

False. Box proved ~ca 1952 that standard inferences in the linear regression
model are robust to nonnormality, at least for (nearly) balanced designs.
The **crucial** assumption is independence, which I suspect partially
motivated his time series work on arima modeling. More recently, work on
hierarchical models (e.g. repeated measures/mixed effect models) has also
dealt with lack of independence.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics