[R] opinions please: text editors and reporting/Sweave?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Wed May 30 23:07:41 CEST 2007

Tim,

First, I personnally am a big fan of LaTeX, Emacs, and ESS and I think
that in the long run you would benefit from learning all of them
(probably start with Emacs, then ESS, then LaTeX once you already have a
knowledge of Emacs and how it can help).

Since you asked about the simplest way to go, you may want to look at
the odfWeave package.  This gives you the power of Sweave, but without
having to learn LaTeX.  It works with documents in openoffice (a free
office suite similar to and mostly compatible with microsoft office
(word)).  Using this you can create your template using openoffice
writer (or MS word, then convert using openoffice), run it through
R/odfWeave, and have the result as another openoffice document that can
then be converted to MS word or pdf.

Personally, if I am doing something for myself, or in which the output
format does not matter, then I use Sweave with LaTeX (using Emacs and
ESS).  But, often my results need to be sent to a client that will cut
and past my results into an MS word document or power point
presentation.  Then I find it easier to use openoffice and odfWeave and
have the end result be an MS word document that can be e-mailed to the
client for them to mangle in ways they feel the need to.

(there is also an HTML driver for Sweave I nthe the R2HTML package where
you can have the template file resemble html and the final output is in
html)

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.