[R] [R-sig-Geo] Connecting to PostgreSQL/PostGIS from R (rgdal?)

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Wed May 30 23:31:27 CEST 2007

I would also recommend you take a look at RODBC for general purpose
database access. My impression is that it has received a lot more
maintenance attention lately.

I can't comment on the windows gdal binaries as I'm not too familiar
with that platform.

THK

On 5/30/07, Mike Leahy <mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying every now and then to find a cross operating system
> solution that would let me access PostgreSQL (and PostGIS) from R, or to
> access R from PostgreSQL.  I know of pl/r, which accomplishes the
> latter, but has yet to be successfully ported to Windows.  Similarly,
> I've tried to use Rdbi and DBI, but I haven't had luck with those on
> Windows either for connecting to PostgreSQL from R.  Can anyone suggest
> a solution for this?
>
> It would seem that rgdal could also help me in this case. Unfortunately,
> the version of the GDAL library that is included in the rdgal binary
> available on CRAN (for windows) doesn't include the PostgreSQL driver
> for OGR (i.e., it's not listed by the ogrDrivers() function).
>
> I compiled rgdal on Windows myself using the GDAL library from
> FWTools-1.3.1, but I was unsuccessful at creating a proper binary
> package for R.  I was only able to get it to work by substituting the
> rgdal.dll that was installed by CRAN with the one that I compiled that
> links against the GDAL library from FWTools.  Even though it works (at
> first glance with ogrInfo(), and readOGR()), I still get a warning
> message when I load the libary: "DLL attempted to change FPU control
> word from 8001f to 9001f".
>
> So my question with respect to rgdal is a) is it likely that an rgdal
> package is going to be released in the future with the PostgreSQL driver
> included in GDAL/OGR, or b) are there any suggestions/instructions that
> might get me through the compilation and packaging process for rgdal
> with better success?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Mike

Timothy H. Keitt, University of Texas at Austin
Contact info and schedule at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/
Reprints at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/papers/
ODF attachment? See http://www.openoffice.org/