[R] Partially reading a file (particularly)

Tobin, Jared TobinJR at DFO-MPO.GC.CA
Thu May 31 14:37:22 CEST 2007

The responses are much appreciated, thanks.

findstr works and saves a lot of time.  I didn't however have much
success with that exact code persay; I get an error message that I don't
understand, as follows:

> c1 <- read.fwf(pipe("findstr /b 5 my.file"), ...)
Error in readLines(con, n, ok, warn, encoding) :
        'con' is not a connection
Error in close(file) : no applicable method for "close"

I did however have success with pipe using readLines, albeit in a very
clumsy fashion:

> c1 <- readLines(pipe("findstr /b 5 my.file"))
> write(c1, file="temp.dat")
> t1 <- read.fwf("temp.dat", ...)

Do you receive the same error message as above when using pipe with
read.fwf?

--

jared tobin, student research assistant
dept. of fisheries and oceans