[R] Comparing multiple distributions

jiho jo.irisson at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:28:44 CEST 2007

On 2007-May-31  , at 18:56 , Bert Gunter wrote:
> While Ravi's suggestion of the "compositions" package is certainly
> appropriate, I suspect that the complex and extensive statistical
> "homework"
> you would need to do to use it might be overwhelming (the geometry of
> compositions is a simplex, and this makes things hard).

Yes I am reading the documentation now, which is well written but
huge indeed...

> As a simple and
> perhaps useful alternative, use pairs() or splom() to plot your 5-D
> data,
> distinguishing the different treatments via color and/or symbol.
>
> In addition, it might be useful to do the same sort of plot on the
> first two
> principal components (?prcomp) of the first 4 dimensions of your 5
> component
> vectors (since the 5th is determined by the first 4). Because of the
> simplicial geometry, this PCA approach is not right, but it may
> nevertheless
> be revealing. The same plotting ideas are in the compositions
> package done
> properly (in the correct geometry),so if you are motivated to do
> so, you can
> do these things there. Even if you don't dig into the details,
> using the
> compositions package version of the plots may be realtively easy to
> do,interpretable, and revealing -- more so than my "simple but wrong"
> suggestions. You can decide.
>
> I would not trust inference using ad hoc approaches in the
> untransformed
> data. That's what the package is for. But plotting the data should
> always be
> at least the first thing you do anyway. I often find it to be
> sufficient,
> too.

Thank you for your suggestions on plotting, I will look into it. I
was using histograms of mean proportions + SE until now because it
was what seemed the most straightforward given my specific questions.
If we come back to my original data (abandoning the statistical
language for a while ;) ) I have proportions of fishes caught 1. near
the surface, 2. a bit below, .... 5. near the bottom. The questions I
want to ask are for example: does the vertical distribution of
species A and species B differ? So I can plot the mean proportion at
each depth for both species and obtain a visual representation of the
vertical distribution of each.
At this stage differences between fishes that accumulate near the
surface or near the bottom are quite obvious. If I add error bars I
can get an idea of the variability of those distributions. The issue
arise when I want to *test* for a difference between the
distributions of species A and B. If I use a basic KS test I can only
compare the mean proportions for species A (5 points) to the mean
proportions of species B (5 points) and this has low power + does not
take in account the variability around those means. In addition I may
also want to know wether there is a difference within species A, B
and C and pairwise KS tests would increase alpha error risk. Am I
explaining things correctly? Does this seem logical to you too?
As for the PCA I must admit I don't really understand what you mean.

Thank you very much again.

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/

--
Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner
suspect n'a été trouvé.