[R] Using R for large econometric models

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 18:28:31 CET 2007

I take it your friend is interested in large scale macro econometric
models involving perhaps more than a thousand equations.   The
software one would like to use might involve managing the model
database, estimating the model and simulating the model.  If the model
involves rational expectations these simulations will be very
demanding.  R would probably handle a lot of the estimation
requirements and probably most of the data management.  I do not know
of anyone that has handled the more elaborate RE simulations in R.  It
would involve considerable programming.  The only free software that
does this kind of work is the Fair-Parke program available from
http://fairmodel.econ.yale.edu/.

If the model has been set up by another person you might be advised to
use the software that the maintainers of the model use.  TROLL is
widely used in Central Banks and organisations such as the IMF ECB
etc.  It would be a fairly big job to translate a large scale macro
model from a system such as TROLL or MODELEASY or similar to another
language.

If the model is relatively small then any statistical system that can
store data, estimate structural equations and simulate them is ideal.
R would be suitable in this case.  If RE are involved you may need
special software or some programming.

Best Regards

John