[R] R as a programming language

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 8 00:38:57 CET 2007

Although Crawley is an ecologist, not a programmer or statistician. But
he is an FRS. Maybe that counts for something. ;-)

Simon.

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 01:56 +0300, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> With all due respect to the great book -- of which I own 2 copies I
> bought new -- it's not an "O'Reilly Programming in <X>" book.  The
> idea of a programming book like that is to thoroughly treat the
> language from a programmer's standpoint, in a fairly standard way,
> such as Ruby or Python.
>
> As I'm learning more of statistics with R, I prefer to do it with the
> book by Crawley.  Looks like most of R books are written by
> statisticians who became programmers, not the other way.  Through all
> those years I periodically follow R, I forget its programming spirit
> in between, and there's no "Programming ..." book to help.
> Statistics is hard to forget once you master it; syntax sugar melts
> away...
>
> "Programming with Data" is the closest to an O'Reilly, but more
> advanced and esoteric than that.
>
> Since R became a bona fide Open Source language with CRAN and all, an
> O'Reilly book by a [Python and Ruby] programmer-turn-statistician is
> long overdue!  If it systematically compares R with Ruby and Python,
> its closest Open Source cousins, it would help even more.  RPy and
> RRb are there to help, too.  Just my $0.01...
>
> Cheers,
> Alexy

> > Someone already has ... see Venable and Ripley's S PROGRAMMING.
> >
> > **However** R is more than a general purpose programming language:
> > it is a
> > programming language specifically designed for data analysis --
> > including
> > statistical graphics -- and statistics. So, IMHO anyway, it's really
> > impossible to discuss it without reference to the data structures and
> > procedures underlying such tasks. Because it is targeted to do
> > those sorts
> > of things well, it may handle poorly some things that general purpose
> > languages do well (minimizing storage with the use of references, for
> > example).
> >
> > My own experience is that one appreciates the power and beauty of the
> > language and the wisdom of the designers the more one uses it in real
> > applications. But I am not a computer scientist and have only a
> > limited
> > exposure to standard CS concepts and algorithms, to say nothing of
> > "real"
> > programming experience. So just my $.02.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Bert Gunter
> > Genentech Nonclinical Statistics

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.