[R] [R-sig-ME] mixed model testing

Nilsson Fredrik X Fredrik.X.Nilsson at skane.se
Thu Nov 8 10:00:27 CET 2007

Dear John,

Forgive me for putting my nose out, I hope that I'm not rude, but I am a bit bewildered by your mail (and by statistical modelling).

I agree that if your model is:

Lawndepression~lawn.roller.weight +(1|lawn.id),

When, in fact, it *should be* (because you simulated the data or you're God):

Lawndepression~lawn.roller.weight +(lawn.roller.weight|lawn.id),

then you might erroneously fail to reject the null hypothesis that the random effect for slope is zero. But in real life one does not know the true model, and there are an infinite number of (functional forms for) random effects that such tests may fail upon. What should one do, why stop at the linear term? Why not saturate the model with random effects? (And still, you don't know whether you have the right model).

In your example one would perhaps like to think that VERY light lawn movers did not cause any depression at all, and that there is a maximum depression that a lawn mover could cause, so there should at least be an f(lawn.roller.weight), or we do as Venables suggest in http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS3/Exegeses.pdf : we centre our lawn mover weights and keep in the middle of this interval where things look linear and fit a linear, Gaussian model.

Then I don't quite get your point from Box' quote since that concerned heterogeneous variances, right? Here the situation is quite the opposite to rejecting the null, using a test for heterogeneous variances that is more sensitive than the ANOVA for departures from homogeneity is akin to sending out a rowing boat on a rough sea where the ocean liner (ANOVA) would safely fare. We failed to reject the null hypothesis of zero slope.

So what is your suggestion of a sensible modelling strategy? (Without being biased by what you see in your dataset; I used to like inspecting the data fitting lmList if possible, then fitting a rather complex model, and then removing insignificant terms, then checking assumptions. After having read Harrell's book (Regression modelling strategies) I'm a bit uncertain what to do when people ask me to analyze their data, since they don't like to think too much about it. Harrell's suggestion that one could check the literature for a sensible model seems pernicious to me since these old results are based on the very same modelling strategy that he rejects. Should one use the Bayesian framework with flat priors?)

Best regards,

Fredrik Nilsson