[R] producing output as *.spo (spss output format)

Ivan Uemlianin ivan at llaisdy.com
Sat Nov 10 12:04:05 CET 2007

Dear All

I am considering moving from SPSS to R as my stats environment of
choice.  I have read around and everything looks favourable.  There is
just one issue on which I have been unable to find information.

Many clients ask me to send them output (tables, graphs, etc) as an spss
output file (ie .spo).  I haven't asked them why, I've just said yes.  I
know R can produce graphics as nice as SPSS, and presumably they can be
output in some portable format for pasting into a word-processor
document.  I need to find out why the client wants spo.  In the meantime
let's assume they have a good reason.

Can R write .spo files?  Failing that does any one know of any spo
writers that I could wire up to R (eg with some python gluecode)?
Failing that any suggestions for overcoming the output hurdle would be
welcome, as R looks very attractive (platform independent, easy to use
and to automate, fast).

Best wishes

Ivan