[R] Multivariate integration with infinite limits

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 10 16:04:24 CET 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Paul Smith wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Can R perform multivariate integration with infinite limits of integration?
>
> No, R does numerical (not symbolical) calculations, hence it can never
> perform integration (not even univariate) with infinite limits.

Not really true, as I managed to implement it in integrate().  There is
nothing to stop a numerical integration routine working on an infinite
interval if some assumptions are made about the rate of decay of the
integrand at infinity: several of the classical numerical quadrature
formulae (e.g. Gauss-Hermite) are for infinite intervals.  (You can think
of these as making a particular pre-assigned transformation to e.g. [-1,
1].)

dqagi is adaptive, but at the heart is a Gauss-Kronrod rule done on a
half-infinite interval.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk