[R] Largest N Values Efficiently?

Frede Aakmann Tøgersen FredeA.Togersen at agrsci.dk
Mon Nov 12 08:35:42 CET 2007

On my system

>system.time(x1 <- sort(x,decreasing=TRUE)[1:1000])
   user  system elapsed
   0.03    0.00    0.03

whereas

> system.time(x1 <- x[order(x)][1:1000])
   user  system elapsed
   0.11    0.00    0.11

I.e. using sort is about 30 times faster.

Best regards

Frede Aakmann Tøgersen
Scientist

UNIVERSITY OF AARHUS
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences
Dept. of Genetics and Biotechnology
Blichers Allé 20, P.O. BOX 50
DK-8830 Tjele

Phone:   +45 8999 1900
Direct:  +45 8999 1878

E-mail:  FredeA.Togersen at agrsci.dk
Web:	   http://www.agrsci.org

This email may contain information that is confidential.
Any use or publication of this email without written permission from Faculty of Agricultural Sciences is not allowed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Faculty of Agricultural Sciences immediately and delete this email.