[R] strange `nls' behaviour

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Mon Nov 12 16:33:47 CET 2007

On about line 547 in nls.R there is
  mf$formula <-  # replace by one-sided linear model formula
  as.formula(paste("~", paste(varNames[varIndex], collapse = "+")),
                           env = environment(formula))

If this is replaced with

mf$formula <-  # replace by one-sided linear model formula
  as.formula(paste("~", paste(varNames[1], collapse = "+")),
                           env = environment(formula))

then the behviour seems to be OK at least for Joerg's examples.

It remains to be determined whether this is a _good_ solution (that is, if
it's a general solution to get the desired behavior).