[R] time plotting problem

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 12 19:47:58 CET 2007

I am completely misunderstanding how to handle dates.
I want to plot a couple of data series against some
dates.  Simple example 1 below works fine.
Unfortunately I have multiple observations per day (no
time breakdowns) and observations across years.
(example 2 very simplistic version )

Can anyone suggest a quick fix or point me to
something to read?  I thought that zoo might do it but
I seem to be missing something there too.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Example 1 consecutive dates same year.
x <- "days
9/26/09
9/27/06
9/28/06
9/29/06
9/29/06
9/29/06
10/1/06
10/1/06
10/2/06
10/3/06"

mydata <- read.table(textConnection(x), header=TRUE,
as.is=TRUE); mydata

mydates <- as.Date(mydata[,1], "%m/%d/%y"); mydates
mynums <- rnorm(10)
plot(mydates, mynums)
Example 2 (things go blooy!)
non-consecutive dates different years.