[R] Using lme (nlme) to find the conditional variance of therandom effects

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:51:52 CET 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 1:02 AM, Rick Bilonick <bilonickra at upmc.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 01:03 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
>

> > Is there some way to get ranef with postVar=TRUE to show what the
> > variances are, or what the lower and upper bounds are? qqmath makes nice
> > plots but I need to obtain the numerical values.
> >
> > Rick B.
> >
> I found a way:
>
> attr(ranef(lmer.13,postVar=TRUE)[[2]],"postVar")
>
> But I still don't understand why it's not OK to access the bVar slot
> directly.

Because the class definitions can (and do, in the case of lme4)
change.  If you were to install the development version of the lme4
package

install.packages("lme4", repos = "http://R-forge.R-project.org")

you would find that the bVar slot doesn't exist any more.  However,
the ranef extractor with postVar = TRUE still does return the
conditional variances of the random effects.