[R] negative binomial lmer

Tonker claire_brittain at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:12:59 CET 2007

Hi
I am running an lmer which works fine with family=poisson

mixed.model<-lmer(nobees~spray+dist+flwabund+flwdiv+round+(1|field),family="poisson",method="ML",na.action=na.omit)

But it is overdispersed. I tried using family=quasipoisson but get no P
values. This didnt worry me too much as i think my data is closer to
negative binomial but i cant find any examples of negative binomial lmer. I
tried using the family=negative.binomial(theta=x,link=log) but got an error
message from R saying the function famiily=negative.binomial wasnt
recognised.

Can anyone suggest how to go about setting up the lmer with negative
binomial distribution?

Thanks