[R] test for existance of a method for given class

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 12:49:18 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, William Valdar wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I want to test whether a method exists for given object. For example,
> whether a function "deviance" is defined for an object of the "lm" class.

For an S3 generic 'f' and with an S3 object or an S3 class 'x', try

hasS3method <- function(f, x)
{
     if(is.object(x)) x <- oldClass(x)
     m <- methods(f)
     cl <- sub(paste("^", f, ".", sep=""), "", m)
     any(c("default", x) %in% cl)
}

(You can break this, e.g. by f="resid" or using implicit classes: it needs
inside knowledge to know if the latter would be invoked.  Also, the set
of available methods is in principle scope-specific.)

For S4 generics and classes, look at selectMethod(optional=TRUE): this is
documented to return NULL if and only if there is no applicable method.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk