[R] Projection of Shapefiles using Maptools

Jens Oldeland Oldeland at gmx.de
Wed Nov 14 14:15:46 CET 2007

Dear R-Users

I have successfully imported my Shapefile using maptools with the
following command lines, and I hoped that my object (nc) will be
recognized as projected data, so I have included the CRS command:

library(maptools)
p4s = CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84")
nc =
readShapePoints("D:/Projekte_INPROGRESS/Termiten/DATA/ERF_Termite.shp",
proj4string=p4s)
plot(nc, axes = TRUE)
summary(nc)

but in the summary it tells me:

Object of class SpatialPointsDataFrame
Coordinates:
min max
coords.x1 16.93515 16.94475
coords.x2 -21.60583 -21.59686
Is projected: FALSE
proj4string : [+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84]
Number of points: 388

Is projected: FALSE ?? does this mean that it is a geographic data set
and not a projected or does it mean that it won´t accept my proj4string ??

does anyone has an idea how to write the correct proj4string to import
data from UTM WGS 84 S33 ? would be nice

thank you
JEns