[R] Changing the text in the strips of lattice plots and y axis

Judith Flores juryef at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 22:06:51 CET 2007

Dear R-helpers,

   I am sorry for asking something I know has been
asked before, I have tried different combinations in
the strip function without success...

    I am using version 2.5.1 and work on a PC.

   I have  barcharts generated from the following
formula:

barchart(y1+y2+y3~x | g)

I need to change the names of the variables y1,y2 or
y3 that currently appear in the strips, I have two
strips per panel, one corresponds to the name of the
variable (y1 or y2) and the second strip to the value
of the conditional variable (g has two levels, this
means I have 6 panels total).

  Instead of y1,y2 and y3 I would like the strips to
read 'name of variable y1', 'name of variable y2',
'name of variable y3'; of course these are not the
real names I want to assign to those variables.

  And my second question is regarding the the limits
of the y axis. If I setup scales to relation='free', I
obtain 6 different scales, which is expected. But I
need the panels that correspond to each y variable
have the same scale. I tried something like this:

prepanel=function(x,y,...) {ylim=list(min(y),max(y)) }

   but didn't work...

What do I need to do?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Judith