[R] "Couldn't find function par"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 18 18:12:20 CET 2007

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Johannes Hüsing wrote:

> Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> [Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 02:20:14PM CET]:
>> Johannes HXXsing wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Fehler: konnte Funktion "par" nicht finden

>>> function (..., no.readonly = FALSE)
>>>
>> Hmm, this could happen as a result of calling par() in a startup file
>> before loading the graphics package.
>>

> Arggh, I overlooked a legacy .Rprofile, ok, fixed, thank you. Seems like
> in recent versions graphics was loaded before .Rprofile was read.

Not in 'recent versions', indeed not since 1.9.0 (April 2004) when
'graphics' was created.  From ONEWS for 1.9.0:

 	Users may notice that code in .Rprofile is run with only the
 	new base loaded and so functions may now not be found.	For
 	example, ps.options(horizontal = TRUE) should be preceded by
 	library(graphics) or called as graphics::ps.options or,
 	better, set as a hook -- see ?setHook.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk