[R] R and reading matlab compressed files

Prof Leslie Smith lss at cs.stir.ac.uk
Sat Nov 17 21:46:20 CET 2007

Is there any way to read these files (standard .mat files, created by
matlab version 7 onwards are compressed)? I know that R.matlab doesn't
read them (it even says in the file MatlabServer.m "Matlab v7 saves
compressed files, which is not recognized by R.matlab's readMat()" (lines
47-8)).

I know I should be able to make R call Matlab and transfer data (not that
I managed to make it work yet!), but I'd rather not run Matlab & R
together: I'd like to use R to read matlab files on machines not licensed
for matlab!

Are there any ways to make this work?

--Leslie Smith

--
Prof Leslie Smith
Computing Science and Maths

--
The University of Stirling is a university established i...{{dropped:11}}