[R] Packages - a great resource, but hard to find the right one.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 16:00:44 CET 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, John Sorkin wrote:

> Gabor,

> The URL you cited is helpful, but it is not searchable. It can not be
> used, for example, to easily determine that MASS can be used for boxcox
> tranforms.

It is searchable (use your browser's search facilities), and that is often
helpful.  But you can do your search at search.r-project.org (thanks to
Jonathan Baron): select 'Complete list of all packages', select a package
and browse its help.

If you are looking for a way to do Box-Cox, or the function boxcox(),
search on that site, or for packages you already have installed, use
help.search().  One reason we find it useful to have a system with all
packages installed (that do install) is to make it easy for our users to
search for what they want, and then use it.

See also http://www.r-project.org/search.html

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk