[R] R2winBUGS & WinBUGS gui

Evan Cooch cooch17 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 25 18:23:11 CET 2007

> Yes, sure, and indeed, it is a shame that nobody of those people who
> want it to work under Linux is trying to submit patches to make it work.

I agree, but I *think* the primary reason for this is that it requires
installing Blackbox as a PASCAL compiler. For much of the Linux
community, if it doesn't make use of a standard GNU compiler (there *is*
a GNU Pascal compiler, but since I (and most others) don't know PASCAL,
I've never installed it), there will be little interest. Of course, what
seems attractive about JAGS is that it is less dependent on a non-GNU
compiler (although the dependencies to Blackbox may not be large -
relative to GNU Pascal - don't know), and is written in a more familiar
language.

What everyone wants is a tarball with a simple configure, make, make
install sequence, that plays nice with R, under linux, which is the OS
of choice (based on the statistics I have) for folks with high-end
hardware (read - multi-processor 64-bit chips with a 64-bit OS). Of
course, this doesn't happen by itself (your point is well-taken).