[R] complex conjugates roots from polyroot?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Nov 25 18:36:21 CET 2007

Hi, Ravi:

      Question:  Are duplicate real numbers complex conjugates?  For
some purposes, perhaps.  However, for identifying (damped) periodicity
on a difference or differential equation, we must exclude repeated real
roots.

      In any event, your suggestion inspired me to create a function
"findConjugates" (see below), which I've added to the "FinTS" package
currently under development on R-Forge.  The source code is currently
available via "svn checkout
svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/fints".  In another day or so,
it should be available (with documentation) via
'install.packages("FinTS",repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org")'.  In
another couple of months, it should appear on CRAN.

      Thanks again for your suggestion.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer
######################################
findConjugates <- function(x,
complex.eps=1000*.Machine[["double.neg.eps"]]){
##
##  1.  compute normalization
##
  if(length(x)<1)return(complex(0))
  ax <- abs(x)
  m2 <- outer(ax, ax, pmax)
##
##  2.  Compute complex differences
##
  c2 <- (abs(outer(x, Conj(x), "-") / m2) < complex.eps)
  c2[m2==0] <- FALSE
  c2 <- (c2 & lower.tri(c2))
##
## 3.  Any differences exceed complex.eps?
##
  if(any(c2)){
#     check standard differences
    d2 <- (abs(outer(x, x, "-") / m2) > complex.eps)
    d2[m2==0] <- FALSE
#
    cd2 <- (c2 & d2)
    if(any(cd2)){