[R] Packages - a great resource, but hard to find the right one

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Nov 26 01:53:53 CET 2007

Antony, et. al.:

Could this be better handled by just having a place on CRAN for users to
express their (unedited/unrefereed, other than to keep thing within the
bounds of civility and courteous information sharing) extended opinions
rather than formal reviews, akin to the numerous websites hosting reviews
of, e.g. consumer appliances or Amazon book reviews?

Several contributors to this (worthwhile, IMHO) thread have noted the fluid,
informal, and extremely diverse nature of packages. For this reason, I
wonder if trying to fit them within the usual framework of persistent, long
term, generally supported, widely applicable software is appropriate.
Perhaps, given the innovative nature of R (and open source software in
general?) we need to be similarly innovative in thinking about how to deal
with the vexing problem of the embarassment of software riches that packages
represent. My "unsolicited consumer reviews" suggestion above may not be
sufficiently rigorous, but perhaps it may stimulate others to better
approaches.

Incidentally, I thought Hadley Wickham's comments about 1000 reviews adding
to 1000 packages was on point; but wouldn't it be possible to index the
reviews, Google style, to give a much wider "thesaurus" -- to quote another
pertinent comment -- to help in searching? It certainly works pretty well
for Google (and for my research this morning on "slow cookers").

-- Bert

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box