[R] question about extreme value distribution

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Mon Nov 26 20:33:03 CET 2007

As an alternative you could try quantile regression (find a regression
line for the 95th percentile), if the relationship between max(y) and x
is only due to more points (and therefore more oportunities for large
values) then the estimated quantile lines should not differ
significantly from 0.

Try the following (where the truth is no relationship):

set.seed(2)

x <- rep(1:10, 1:10)
y <- rexp(55, 1)

plot(x,y)

cor.test( 1:10, tapply( y, x, max ) )

library(quantreg)
fit <- rq( y ~ x, tau=c(0.5, 0.95) )
summary(fit)

Notice that the cor.test is significant, but that the confidence
intervals for the slopes both include 0.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center