[R] Time Series Issues, Stationarity ..

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 22:32:10 CET 2007

With 24 values you are asking the impossible from your data.   If you
use the standard Box Jenkins approach rather than an automatic ARIMA
and using any prior knowledge of the data you might manage some form
of forecast.  Look at graphs of the data and their first differences.
Look at graphs of the autocorrelation and partial autocorrelation
functions.  There are a range of text books that describe this kind of
manual Box-Jenkins approach.

There is an excellent account of stationarity and related matters in
Pfaff, B (2006), "Analysis of Integrated and Cointegrated Time Series
with R", in the Springer USE R! series.  This also contains an account
of ARMA models.

Best regards

John