[R] newbie polr() question

Max mnevill at exitcheck.net
Tue Nov 27 16:37:50 CET 2007

Prof Brian Ripley used his keyboard to write :
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Max wrote:
>
>> Prof Brian Ripley explained :

>>> Use predict(): see the book polr supports for examples (and the theory).
>>
>> I appreciate the reply, but have difficulty understanding what you mean
>> by "the book polr supports"? :-?
>>
>> The manuals in R don't reference the polr() command, nor do they write
>> about ordinal regression in R. (from what I can tell) The documentation
>> of the polr() doesn't explain the output or the theory... I've done web
>
> It _does_ describe both the theory and the use of predict(), on pages
> 204-5.

Is this in your textbook? I found the explanation for predict on page
1194 of the R reference manual pdf from the help menu in the GUI.
Unfortunately I do not have the MASS textbook itself, and have to rely
on whatever I can find about polr() from web.

>> searches on polr() and the MASS library and have found little of direct
>> help to my question.
>
> polr is in the MASS package (although you failed to mention that, or give
> credit).  From library(help=MASS)
>
> BundleDescription:   Functions and datasets to support Venables and
>                       Ripley, 'Modern Applied Statistics with S' (4th
>                       edition).
> and from ?polr:

>       Agresti, A. (2002) _Categorical Data._ Second edition.  Wiley.
>
>       Venables, W. N. and Ripley, B. D. (2002) _Modern Applied
>       Statistics with S._ Fourth edition.  Springer.

Thanks guys for the help. I'm still very new to R and didn't even know
the library(help=MASS) command, I was googling things before... And I
apologize for not properly crediting you Prof. Ripley, I'm quite new to
this newsgroup as well, no insult was intended, I just didn't know any
better.

I'll see about finding your book, I'm hopeful I can convince my
employer to purchase me some R books. That or I'll spend my own money,
as it seems a couple texts on R would be extremely useful.