[R] question about warning message in nlme model

Christine Calmes ccalmes at buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 28 14:28:47 CET 2007

I am writing to inquire about a warning message that I receive when
trying to model a random slope and intercept at the second level of a
3-level model.  Specifically, I am testing a 3-level model in which
time (WEEK) is nested in participants (PARTICIP) and participants are
nested in dyads (DYADID). The goal is to examine how an interpersonal
style (CORUMTO) one week predicts changes in depression the following
week (BDIAFTER) controlling for levels of depression (BDI) from the
previous week.  I have approximately 80 dyads and approximately 160
participants.

When modeling a random slope and intercept at the second level (the
participant or person level), I receive output, and I also receive the
following error message.

Warning message
Fewer observations than random effects in all level 2 groups

I was wondering what this error message means and if it may be
suggesting that the results after the summary statement are incorrect.

I also want to verify that the following syntax is appropriate for
modeling a random intercept and slope on the variable CORUMTO at the
participant level and a random intercept and fixed slope at the dyad
level.

intercept<-lme(BDIAFTER~BDI+WEEK+CORUMTO, random=list(DYADID=~1,
PARTICIP=~CORUMTO), data=weeklydata)

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Christine Calmes

Christine Calmes, M.A.
Doctoral Candidate, Clinical Psychology
University at Buffalo: The State University at New York
Department of Psychology; Park Hall
North Campus
Buffalo NY, 14260