[R] Clustering

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Wed Nov 28 18:17:54 CET 2007

Eleni,

     The method= argument is in reference to how clusters are
constructed, not how the dissimilarity or distance is calculated.  If
you pass agnes diss=TRUE then it will use the distances you have
calculated by whatever means.  method="complete" means that clusters are
evaluated by the maximum distance of a candidate sample to the set of
samples in the cluster, rather than the average.  Yo can find
descriptions of these algorithms in most any text on clustering.

Dave Roberts