[R] Listing factor levels for elements of letters in an rpart plot

Cliff Behrens cliff at research.telcordia.com
Thu Nov 29 15:48:18 CET 2007

I would like to create a list of factor levels represented by elements
of letters shown in an rpart plot.  It seems that the order of levels
for a factor are different than the alphabetized order returned a simple
list command, e.g., rpartModel$factor_name.

I was also wondering how best to model factors with many levels, or does
the classification algorithm already subset these?  I was thinking of
thresholding observations on some minimum count for each level.