[R] MS Excel Data

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Nov 29 21:01:21 CET 2007

This has been discussed on this list many times before. Google on "Import
Excel R". Note also that there are potential problems (loss of digits) due
to Excel "idiosyncracies" depending on what you do.
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html  provides
some details.

Finally, I have found that for rectangular data sets with no missing fields
in Excel (tables), cutting and read.tabling **the data only ** is a
simple(but probably not without risk) way to do it:

(after cutting the data only in Excel to the clipboard) in R:

newdat <- read.table("clipboard", head=FALSE, row.names=NULL)

The columns can then be named via names(newdat) <- ...

I omit column headers because in most of the Excel data I get the column
names have spaces and other non-alphanumeric characters which R cannot
easily digest. One could separately scan() just the vector of column headers
and use regular expressions to extract the names. But for small tables, I
find it easier just to create the names manually.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics