[R] lmer and method call

M-J Milloy mjmilloy at cfenet.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 30 03:09:20 CET 2007

Hello all,

I'm attempting to fit a generalized linear mixed-effects model using lmer
(R v 2.6.0, lmer 0.99875-9, Mac OS X 10.4.10) using the call:

vidusLMER1 <- lmer(jail ~ visit + gender + house + cokefreq + cracfreq +
herofreq + borcur + comc + (1 | code), data = vidusGD, family = binomial,
correlation = corCompSymm(form = 1 | ID), method = "ML")

Although the model fits, the summary indicates the model is a "Generalized
linear mixed model fit using Laplace". I've tried any number of
permutations; is only Laplace supported in lmer, despite the text of the
help file?

Thanks for any guidance you might give.

M-J

--

Research assistant
Vancouver Injection Drug User Survey

MSc candidate
Department of Healthcare and Epidemiology
Faculty of Medicine
University of British Columbia