[R] plot graph with error bars trouble

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:41:29 CEST 2007

On 9/30/07, jiho <jo.irisson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> PS if one specifies "errorbars" without specifying min and max one
> >> gets
> >> the error
> >>
> >> Error in rbind(max, max, max, min, min, min) :
> >>         cannot coerce type closure to list vector
> >>
> >>   perhaps a more transparent error message could be supplied in this
> >> (admittedly
> >> stupid-user-error-obvious-in-hindsight) case?
> >
> > Yes, that's a good idea.  I'm still working on making the error
> > messages more user friendly.  I think I'm making some progress, but
> > it's fairly slow.
>
> BTW, have you thought about opening ggplot2 development (provide a
> way to check out the dev code and have the possibility to submit
> patches at least) or do you prefer to keep it a personal project for
> now? I don't know how intricate your research and the development of
> ggplot2 are and would understand that you want to keep in 100% hadley
> wickham if you are to be judged on it academically. But boring work
> such as improving error messages, writing documentation and chasing
> small bugs is probably more efficiently done by a team than by a
> single person, with little free time. Furthermore, most of these
> things can be done without deep knowledge of the architecture of
> ggplot2.

It's something I have thought a little bit about, but I haven't made
much progress. Ideally, if it's something that I do for ggplot2, I
should do it for all my other R packages too.  I have thought about
setting up google code projects for each package, which would also
provide a nice set of bugtracking tools.  I've cc'd Gabor on this
email in the hope that he might describe his experiences with this
approach.

> I probably won' t be able to make significant contributions before a
> while but I would be happy to see how ggplot2 progresses and which
> directions are taken by following an SVN tree.

The one thing that google code currently lacks is a nice timeline +
browser interface.  I find this very useful for GGobi
(http://src.ggobi.org) and would like to maintain that functionality
somehow.  It also makes it easier to track progress of the code
through rss, or intermittent reading of the trac site.

There is also the psychological barrier of giving up complete
ownership of the code, and accepting that people will write code that
is different to the way I'd write it.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/