[R] Apparently Conflicting Results with coxph

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Oct 1 15:48:43 CEST 2007

Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
> Dear List:
>
> I have a data frame prepared in the couting process style for including
> a binary time-dependent covariate.  The first few rows look like this.
>
>     PtNo Start    End Status Imp
> 1      1     0  608.0      0   0
> 2      2     0  513.0      0   0
> 3      2   513  887.0      0   1
> 4      3     0   57.0      0   0
> 5      3    57  604.0      0   1
> 6      4     0  150.0      1   0
>

> The outcome is mortality and the covariate is for an implantable
> defibrillator, so it is expected that the implant would reduce the
> risk of death.  The results of fitting coxph (survival package) are:
>
> Call:
> coxph(formula = Surv(Start, End, Status) ~ Imp, data = nina.excl)
>

>      coef exp(coef) se(coef)     z    p
> Imp 0.163      1.18    0.485 0.337 0.74
>
> Likelihood ratio test=0.11  on 1 df, p=0.738  n= 335
>
> Since this was unexpected, I created a non-counting process data
> frame with an indicator variable representing received an implant
> or not.  Here are the results:
>
> Call:
> coxph(formula = Surv(Days, Dead) ~ Implant, data = nina.excl0)
>

>          coef exp(coef) se(coef)     z       p
> Implant -1.77     0.171    0.426 -4.15 3.3e-05
>
> Likelihood ratio test=19.1  on 1 df, p=1.21e-05  n= 197
>
> I found this degree of discrepancy surprising, especially the point
> estimate of the coefficient.  I have verified the data frames are
> set up correctly.
>
> Here is what I have tried to understand what is going on.
>
> I tried fitting models adjusted for other covariates that I have in
> the data frame.  This did not appreciably affect the coefficients
> for the implant variable.
>
> I ran cox.zph on the two models shown above and plotted the results.
> In both cases, the point estimate of Beta(t) is sort of parabolic
> in that the curves are monotonically increasing to a local maximum
> after which they are monotonically decreasing (the CIs are a bit
> more wiggly).
>
> I would interpret this to mean that the effect of implant is probably
> time-dependent.  If so, how do I actually get a "proper" estimate of
> beta(t) for a variable like this?
>
> Are there some other things I should look at to understand what's
> going on?

If you want to play with time-dependent regression coefficients have a
look at the timereg package and the book that it supports.

However, first you need to consider the possibility of selection effects
that can take place even with non-varying effects. In the case at hand I
would suspect a bias created by the fact that you don't implant devices
into people who are already dead.