[R] Interpretation of residual variance components and scale parameters in GLMMs

Emily H. DuVal ehduval at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:09:59 CEST 2007

Dear R-listers,

I am working with generalized linear mixed models to quantify the
variance due to two nested random factors, but have hit a snag in the
interpretation of variance components.  Despite my best efforts with
Venables & Ripley 2002, Fahrmeir & Tutz 2001, R-help archives, Google,
and other eminent sources (i.e. local R gurus), I have not been able
to find a definitive answer explaining when the value reported for the
residual error represents a scale parameter, and when it represents
the actual variance (or standard error) and can be interpreted
directly.

As I understand it, the residual variance of a glm or glmm with
logarithm link is defined as (pi^2)/3, and so most GL(M)M programs and
modules do not report this value, but just report the scale parameter
(if estimated, otherwise it is 1). For example, this is the case in
lmer, where the output statement gives 'Estimated scale (compare to
1)'. This reported scale parameter (but not the variance components of
the random terms) then needs to be multiplied by (pi^2)/3 to give the
actual residual variance.

However, it remains unclear to me whether this is necessary in
glmmPQL, or whether the reported 'residual standard error' is
(similarly to the standard error attributed to the other random terms
in the model) the exact value of sigma, and should simply be squared
to get the actual residual variance. In other words, and I am unsure
if glmmPQL actually estimates the residual variance component instead
of just scaling the expected value.

Here's a simplified example dataset (d) to explain what I mean:

d = data.frame( "maleID" = c(1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,4,4,4,4),
"successes" = c(5,8,4,6,0,0,4,2,0,0,8,10,0,0,2,0), "status" =

d$maleID = factor(d$maleID)

Essentially:  males are found in different status categories; there is
variance in success within each status group; and the variance in
success between status groups is considerably greater than that within
status groups.

> model1 = lmer(successes~1 + (1|status) + (1|status:maleID),family = poisson, data = d, method = "PQL")
> summary(model1)

Generalized linear mixed model fit using PQL
Formula: successes ~ 1 + (1 | status) + (1 | status:maleID)