[R] plot graph with error bars trouble

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:58:10 CEST 2007

On 10/1/07, hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/1/07, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/1/07, hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The biggest drawback (to me) to both google code and R-forge, is their
> > > failure to offer a nice interface to browser the svn repository and
> > > view the timeline of changes.  I particularly like trac (e.g.
> > > http://src.ggobi.org/) despite it's many problems, and I don't think I
> > > want to do without that convenient view of my code.
> >
> > Maybe you are referring to something else but both R-Forge and
> > Google code allow you to browse the svn repository over the
> > intenet from within a web browser.  In Google code click on the Source
> > tab and then the Subversion repository link.  For example,
>
> Yes, but compare with:
>
> http://src.ggobi.org/timeline for seeing what has changed recently and by who
> http://src.ggobi.org/browser for easily navigating the repository and
> setting back through revisions

These seem nearly identical to what you can get with R-Forge or with
TortoiseSVN (and likely other svn clients too).  Since any developer
is likely to have an svn client a web interface more sophisticated than
what is already available via the net has less utility than if this info were
not already available anyways.  Google code can send out email alerts.
On the other hand the complexity in dealing with Trac is a significant
disadvantage for projects the size of an R package.  I previously used Trac
for Ryacas but currently use a WISHLIST and NEWS file (both plain text
files created in a text editor) plus the svn log and find that adequate.
Clearly a lot of this is a matter of taste and of project size and there is no
right answer.