[R] convert a tar.gz to a Windows zip

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Oct 2 10:10:17 CEST 2007

Julien Barnier wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Is there a simple way to convert a Linux produced tar.gz file (a
>> package) to a Windows binary zip package, please?
>>

> If you're on Windows and don't want to do this automatically with a
> command line, you can use 7zip :
>
> http://www.7-zip.org/
>
> HTH,
>
> Julien

Be careful what is really the question here. If we are talking R
packages, BINARY .zip package do not contain the same files as SOURCE
.tar.gz packages and no generic tool will convert one to the other. For
building binary Windows packages from source, you need to install the
build tools, as per http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools.