[R] Cannot Install rimage

Rick Bilonick bilonickra at upmc.edu
Tue Oct 2 16:48:05 CEST 2007

I'm trying to install rimage in R version 2.5.1 running on Fedora 6
(kernel 2.6.22.7-57.fc6 with the headers and gcc installed, along with
fftw2 and libjpeg and headers):

> install.packages("rimage")
Warning in install.packages("rimage") : argument 'lib' is missing: using
'/usr/lib/R/library'
trying URL
'http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/src/contrib/rimage_0.5-7.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 331029 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 323Kb

* Installing *source* package 'rimage' ...
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking for C++ compiler default output... configure: error: C++
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rimage'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/rimage'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpGDx12u/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
installation of package 'rimage' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages("rimage")

I cannot find "config.log" that is mentioned. Can someone please tell me
what is missing from my configuration? rimage installed on another
system running Fedora 7 once I installed fftw2.

Rick B.